Knights Corner - 12/11/17 Update
Here is the latest for South Windsor Youth Hockey for the past two weekends.
Pee Wee B defeated Norwalk, 5-2, last Sunday. This past weekend, they traveled to Norwich in the snowstorm and defeated Southeastern, 3-0. Shut out credit to goalie Eric Prates. Way to go!!!
Pee Wee C beat Simsbury last weekend on Sunday, 2-1. This weekend, they defeated Norwalk on Sunday, 8-0. The team was led by goalie Bauer Cordeiro Larkin with a Shut Out, Mazen Abunasra with a Hat Trick and Jack Randolph with a Playmaker. Great job!
Squirt B had two powerful weekends in a row. Last weekend on Saturday, they defeated Hamden, 9-0. Colton Andrews had a double Hat Trick. Goalie Noah Butler earned the Shut Out. Last weekend on Sunday, they beat Wonderland, 10-0. They were led by another goalie Noah Butler Shut Out, a Josh Willoughby Hat Trick and a Mason Taylor Playmaker. This weekend on Saturday, they beat West Hartford 12-2. This weekend, on Sunday, they capped it off with a 2-1 victory over the Northern Lights. Quite simply, WOW!
Squirt C's jumped into the winning action this past weekend, too. First, they defeated the Northern Lights on Saturday, 11-0. Then they beat Watertown on Sunday, 5-3. Well done!!!
Mite A, last weekend, faced-off against the Whalers on Sunday. The Knights outskated their opponents from the first puck drop, and never let up. Aiden Christensen was awarded the Hot Stick for his outstanding play in net. Bradley Jennes earned the Hard Hat for his non-stop effort in all aspects of the game. Photo attached on the website. This past weekend, Mite A braved the weather and traveled to Simsbury in a late afternoon game. Neither the snow nor the clear home-ice advantage Simsbury had could slow South Windsor down. The Hard Hat went to Tyler King for his truly hard-working play. The Hot Stick went to Bradley Jennes for his hard skating and great goals. Photo on website. Way to go!
2. WAW - Word About Weather
Just for some clarity, on bad weather snowy days, the protocol is as follows.
For home ice, SWYHA has paid for the ice. We do not cancel unless South Windsor Arena formally closes. That's rare. It's New England.
For games, the visiting team usually makes the decision on whether to travel to the game. If we have a home game and the visiting team cancels, we still have the ice and the SWYHA hosting team still has the ice to use.
If the team is traveling to an away game, having a local practice or hosting a local game, if you make a personal family decision not to travel in the snow, please just notify the Coach and Team Rep, as a courtesy, that your child will not be there.
3. WOE - Word About Equipment
This is just a friendly reminder about equipment.
For those families newer to hockey, please remember to have your child's skate sharpened periodically. It can make quite a big difference. While there are different thoughts on any hard and fast rules, many people have skates sharpened every 4-6 hours of skating.
Also, don't forget that these kids are growing. Equipment that looked like it fit a month ago may no longer fit. if you have any questions, ask the Coaches to take a look. Nobody wants to see a player hurt due to equipment not being the right size and offering enough protection.
4. Quotes of the Week
"Concentrate on your strengths instead of your weaknesses, on your powers instead of your problems." - Paul J. Meyer
A quote I've given before, but it's a good one: "I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been." - Wayne Gretzky
Hope everyone enjoys the holiday season and has another great week of hockey!
South Windsor Youth Hockey Yearbook Ad Instructions
The 2017-18 SWYHA yearbook is underway! That means it's time to design your player's ad. If your child is a Mite, Squirt, PeeWee or Bantam, you get one free ad. If you have one travel player, you get a quarter page ad; if you have multiple travel players, you get a half page ad. To make your ad, please follow the following instructions. All ads must be completed by December 15.
3. Type in "South Windsor Youth Hockey Association 2018 Yearbook" - This should bring up the link to the yearbook.
4. Click on "South Windsor Youth Hockey Association 2018 Yearbook" (green letters)
5. Click on "Purchase Ad" - big blue box
6. Click Register (or you can log in using your login from last year)
7. Enter your name, email address, create a password
It will ask you to associate your account with your player. Just type in your child's name. (You only have to enter one child if you have more than one.)
8. Click on the orange button "Buy a Yearbook Ad"
9. If you only have one child playing on a travel team (Mites through Bantams), then you click on Personal QUARTER Page Ad; If you have multiple children playing on travel teams (Mites through Bantams), then you click Personal HALF Page Ad.
10. Design your ad
11. If you are not done, click save. You can go back and finish your ad at a later time. If you are finished, click Continue and Review.
12. Enter your child's name or family's last name in Student Name/Business Name
13. Click the box "I approve the design of this ad" and the click green box "Purchase this ad"
14. STOP! Your ad is complete! There is no cost for the ad - do not enter any other info!