Knights Corner - This Week in South Windsor Youth Hockey
Knights Corner - 9/28/15 Update
1. It's been a busy week for South Windsor Youth Hockey teams. Here are some game result highlights.
Midgets won Saturday's game 6-3 and Sunday's game 10-2. Way to go!
Pee Wee A beat their opponent by a lot in a scrimmage on Saturday and they beat West Haven 6-4 on Sunday. There was a hat trick on Sunday by Chase Mawhinney and the team is off to a 3-0 start to their season. Photo below of five of the second year Pee Wees just before their Sunday game.
Squirt B won their first game of the year Saturday night against Greenwich, 5-3. Congratulations!!!
2. Last week, we had a very successful Goalie Clinic for South Windsor Youth Hockey goalies. SWYHA provides a free professionally taught clinic for all of its goalies every month. The next Goalie Clinic for all South Windsor goalies is October 21st. ALL South Windsor Youth Hockey goalies should attend. See photos below from last week's clinic. Thank you to the Samson family for providing the photos.
3. Now that the weekend games are underway, here is a polite reminder about the Locker Rooms for the games on Saturdays and Sundays. South Windsor (Home Team) should use either Locker Room #3 or #4. Visiting Team should use either Locker Room #5 or #6. Locker Room #1 is always Girls Only. Female players from Visiting Teams are welcome to use Locker Room #1, too. ALL teams playing games, home and visitors, are limited to only one locker room.
4. This week on Thursday October 1st is another Learn to Skate Sizing Night between 5:30 and 7:30 at the South Windsor Arena lobby. If you are around for a practice and see the table in the lobby, please remember these are families signing up their kids for Learn to Skate and they are present to get the equipment. Please say hello and welcome them.
5. This coming weekend is a big weekend. Saturday and Sunday are the first days of the season for In House 2. And this coming Sunday morning is the first day of Learn to Skate. The Association would like to see lots of welcoming efforts, offers to help and patience.
6. Another reminder about behavior in the stands during games. Connecticut Hockey Conference (CHC) and the referees are extremely serious this year about parent, coach and player conduct during games. Negative comments and vulgarity have a good chance of getting anyone tossed from the game, or more. Again, you have been warned.
7. There is a Board Meeting next week. Monthly Board Meetings take place at 7:30 p.m. at Nomads on the first Tuesday of every month. Everyone is welcome to attend. You do not need to be a Board Member. It's a chance to hear and see what is going on with our Association.
8. Did you know that South Windsor Youth Hockey Association maintains an active Twitter account? Follow us at: @SWYouthHockey.
Registration for South Windsor Youth Hockey's 2015/2016 In House Program is now open. Click Here to register now.
In House I is the introduction to hockey basics. Children that have completed the 4 (four) week Learn to Skate program are now ready for the In House I program. Each child is individually developed based on their ability, and then taught more intensely on the aspects of skating, stick and puck control, and basic game instruction. The players gain confidence on their skates and in using a hockey stick, so the cross ice games become a fun environment. The program is directed by USA Hockey coaching and instruction, which is universal throughout the US. In House I begins after the first Learn to Skate session has completed and meets on Saturday and Sunday mornings for an hour. The Saturday and Sunday schedule will be provided to you by the Association.
In House II is the continuation of the In House I program. This is open to all young players. The emphasis is on skill development and introduction to small area games in a fun environment.
If you have any questions please contact Head Coach
South Windsor Youth Hockey Learn To Skate is the beginner program for a new skater. It is designed to teach boys and girls ages four to ten years old the basics of skating. It consists of four "on-ice" sessions. Once these four on-ice sessions have been completed, the Learn To Skate beginner will be able to transition into the In House I program.
The cost of the Learn to Skate program is $99.00 and it includes hockey skates, helmet with face mask and gloves and 2 complimentary WolfPack game tickets! If the skater provides their own equipment, the cost is $50.00. Helmets must be certified hockey helmets.
SESSION 1 - Sunday from 8:10 to 9:10 am: October 4, 11, 18, 25
or SESSION 2 - Saturday from 8:10 to 9:10 am: November 7, 14, 21, 28
All skaters interested in participating in the Learn to Skate program will be required to register online and attend one of the registration and sizing sessions identified below.
Please register Online, print your registration confirmation email, and bring your confirmation and player to the equipment sizing at South Windsor Arena, 585 John Fitch Blvd (Route 5), on one of the following dates/times:
Session 1 sizing will be held on September 22nd from 5:30 to 7:30 pm or October 1st from 5:30 to 7:30
Session 2 sizing will be held on: October 20th from 5:30 to 7:30 pm or October 29th from 5:30-7:30
At the registration, your child will receive hockey skates, a helmet with face mask and gloves. South Windsor Arena staff will properly fit all equipment. A Learn to Skate informational pamphlet will be provided to each participant at registration identifying the format of the program which will include:
Explanation of what the program offers;
How participants should be dressed;
How participants advance with hockey after Learn to Skate; and
Other Learn to Skate FAQ's with answers.
Please register by clicking on the Online Registration tab.
CHC requires that players moving to a new hockey program obtain a release. Please do not request your release until you have committed to the new organization. All financial obligations to South Windsor Youth Hockey must be fulfilled to receive the release.
If you require a release from South Windsor Youth Hockey, please provide the following information to
, SWYHA Secretary:
Player Full Name
Name of New Hockey Program
All releases will be sent directly to CHC for processing.
On our web site, we have an area called "The Exchange." In this area, you can post items you have for sale, for free, or your lost and found items. By default, items will stay out in the exchange area for 2 weeks, but you can extend the time or delete the item at any time during the 2 weeks.
It may be best to start your description with FOR SALE or LOST or FOUND or FREE, then what you are posting - like SKATES or HELMET or GOALIE LEG PADS. We're open to suggestions... hopefully this area will be helpful.